With most people spending their days at home during the COVID-19 pandemic, we are hearing complaints about how small their homes feel! In fact, our team been incredibly busy since the outbreak with clients who might have waited to move who are saying they need more space.
If moving to a larger home is not in your immediate future, here are some tips for making your home feel bigger while quarantined. The best part? They won’t break the bank!
Making Your Home Feel Bigger
- Paint in light, neutral colors. Don’t forget the ceiling! Paint it a light color as well to draw the eye upward.
- Remove some furniture. Opting for a few large pieces over several smaller items will make your space feel bigger and less cluttered. Consider the scale of the furniture too. Don’t pick an oversized sectional sofa for a tiny living room.
- De-clutter! Read our best decluttering advice here.
- Add mirrors to create the illusion of more space. Consider tall mirrors that draw the eye upward. If your room doesn’t have a window, “fake” one with a window-shaped mirror like this one.
- Position your sofa and chairs so that they face a window. Facing a wall is sure to feel more claustrophobic.
- Uncover windows or use sheer window treatments. Avoid heavy fabrics like tapestries, brocades, and canvas.
- Use one large piece of art on a wall vs. several smaller ones. Large-scale art will make a room seem larger than it is.
- Make use of stripes to give the appearance of length. Think of using striped area rugs, window treatments, etc.
- Maximize storage. Have a place for everything. Make use of built-ins and furniture pieces that double as storage (think about ottomans and coffee tables with storage)
- Add some tall bookshelves. Like tall mirrors, they will draw the eye upwards. You can also create height with other vertical elements like shiplap or hanging pendant lights.
- Accessorize the room with tone-on-tone colors and/or small-pattern prints.
- Group furniture on one side of the room to ensure an easy pass-through.
For more ideas, check out this great Houzz post.
The Bottom Line
Don’t let the walls close in on you while you’re staying at home these days. Making your home feel bigger is easier than you think! These simple and inexpensive tips will create the feeling and illusion of more space in your home.
If you are feeling the crunch and want to consider a move to a home with more space, let us know! We’d be happy to talk through the options with you.
Book a Buyers Appointment