July is the perfect month to head inside and give your floors some attention. Time to clean, polish, scrub, and wax! Here are some tips for getting your home’s flooring looking like new.
If you are opting to deep clean your carpets yourself, remember to:
- Wait for a dry day. Humid air can slow the drying process and create extra moisture.
- Vacuum and pretreat any stains first.
- Keep carpets looking fresh with regular vacuuming.
To get tile floors looking their best:
- First, sweep tile floors with a fluffy dust mop or vacuum (avoid using a straw broom which can scratch tile).
- Use a mild detergent, clean water, and a chamois-type mop.
- Don’t forget the grout! Use a paste of baking soda and water on any grout stains. Rub it in and allow to sit overnight. Scrub the mixture off in the morning with a stiff nylon brush (for more tips on cleaning grout, click here).
To get your hardwood floors looking like new:
- Use a special wood cleaner, diluted according to the label instructions.
- Saturate a sponge or rag mop in the water, then wring it until almost dry.
- Damp-mop the floor, being careful to prevent standing water on the floor.
- To create beautiful shine for hardwood floors, use tea for its tannic acid. Steep two teabags in boiling water for a few minutes. Dampen a cloth with the tea and clean away!
If you need any contractor recommendations for any of these projects, just let us know. We are always happy to help!
For more helpful tips like these, be sure you’re getting our weekly blog roundup every Monday morning!