Brick has always been a popular material for building and constructing a home. Today, however, building a home exclusively with brick is expensive, but the payoff is well worth the cost. Below are some of the reasons why brick is an excellent investment when building or adding on to a home.
- Brick is both fire and weather-resistant and can withstand direct impact from flying debris at greater wind speeds than wood. Just think about the damage a bad hail storm can do to vinyl siding.
- Bricks are fireproof, which can help contain the fire to a particular room until it is put out. Many insurance companies offer lower rates on homeowners insurance on homes with brick exteriors.
- Bricks made from shale and clay, some of the most abundant materials on earth, are extremely eco-friendly.
- Bricks minimize mildew, mold, and dust mites by absorbing humidity better than other building materials. Bricks are also easily recycled.
- Brick walls can stabilize your house’s interior temperature when combined with insulation, delaying the movement of heat through the wall, keeping a home warm in the cold winter months longer, and reducing your carbon footprint.
- A brick house doesn’t require much upkeep because it is highly durable. Brick can retain its color, doesn’t need painting, and isn’t biodegradable.
- Brick homes are easy to control since you do not have to worry about termites or pests like woodpeckers pecking on your shingles.
Do you have other questions about home improvement projects for your home? Sign up below for our weekly email newsletter to stay up to date.