Do you ever think about cleaning your drains – at least before there is a problem? As homeowners, many of us can agree that drains are often an overlooked part of home maintenance. However, it’s important to note that some home products that you find in the store, like draino, can be harmful and damage your drains.
Below are some signs you should look out for that signify it’s probably time to get your drains cleaned and checked.
- Foul-smelling drains: A bad smell from your drain is almost always certainly due to a plumbing issue. The smells could potentially be sewer gases or waste sitting in your drains and be addressed right away.
- Slow-draining water: Oftentimes, drains can slow down due to hair, grease, or other objects over time that can clog up your drain.
- Frequent clogs: If you regularly have to unclog your toilets or shower, it’s definitely not a coincidence. This is likely a sign of a major clog somewhere in your home.
- Weird gurgling sounds coming from drains: Strange gurgling coming from toilets or drains can often be a sign that there is a noise issue in your drains and something that certainly should be checked.
- Multiple Clogged Drains: If more than one drain is clogged in your home, then you’ve likely got a big problem on your hands. Having more than one drain clogged can mean you have a main sewer clog, and you should contact plumbing experts immediately.
- Overflowing Toilets: If your toilet is overflowing with no reasonable explanation or reason, this means there’s a good chance that toilet paper and or waste is clogging up your sewer drains, not allowing your toilet to empty properly.
- Standing water: Is there a puddle left over when you run your washing machine? This means that there’s a plug somewhere in your drainage pipes likely caused by hair or gunk that’s not letting water pass through.
- Fruit Flies: Do you have a fruit fly problem that seemingly appeared out of nowhere? While fruit flies, of course, love fruit, they’re also attracted to food in your drains. If you see them hanging out by your sink, this likely means there’s a food build-up down in your drains.
The Bottom Line
While not the most fun topic to talk about, it’s important! If you are experiencing any of these issues, our recommendation is to work with a professional plumber. Please let us know if you need some recommendations!