While your home is on the market, it’s very important to have things “showing ready” at all times. Based on how you have set up your showings, you may have anywhere from one hour to 24 hours’ notice before showings. Below are our top tips to have your home ready for showing (or nearly so!) at all times.
To make a great first impression on any potential buyers, you will want to:
- clear the sidewalk of weeds in the summer, leaves in the fall (which can be slippery when wet) and snow or ice in the winter.
- keep temperatures cool in the warmer months and warm (a comfortable setting) in the fall/winter.
- declutter all surface spaces throughout the house, especially in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- purge closets and keep them tidy.
- place a mat at all entrances and exits during inclement weather. If it is raining, have a place where people can put umbrellas and wipe their feet.
- keep fresh flowers in the dining areas and anywhere else that might work.
Just before leaving the house before a showing:
- remove trash from all bins.
- refrain from using any harsh smelling cleaners for quick touch up cleaning. Try not to cook with any pungent spices/herbs and foods (onions, etc.) if you can right before a showing.
- avoid spraying perfumes and air fresheners and lighting candles.
- turn ALL lights on (yes, ALL lights – closets, etc).
- make sure all beds are made.
- make sure all blinds/shades are open and up. You want the home to look as bright as possible.
- have soft music playing and turn all TVs off.
- avoid running any appliances (dishwasher, laundry, etc).
- if you have a gas fireplace, have a fire going (if you feel comfortable with doing so).
- wipe down all appliances, countertops and light fixtures.
- sweep floors and vacuum carpets.
- make sure no dirty dishes are left in the sink.
- flush all of the the toilets and close the toilet lids.
- remove personal products from sight in the bathrooms (toothbrushes, deodorants, etc).
- if you have a cat litter box, move it to the garage.
- secure or remove all valuables and breakables.
- lock away any prescription drugs (or at least hide from sight), as well as any firearms and weapons.
- remove any pets from the home.
- set out cold bottled water if it’s a very hot day — always a nice touch.
To talk through any of these showing tips or anything involving selling or buying a house, contact us. We are always happy to guide you in getting your home looking its best! If you want to know the current value of your home, click here!
For more helpful tips like these, sign up for our weekly blog roundup.