Looking to make some fun NYE plans, but don’t want to fight the crowds in D.C.? Ring in 2023 with one of the many New Year’s Eve Celebrations in Alexandria! First Night Alexandria is a must-attend festival taking place from noon to midnight on the 31st, however, there are plenty of additional celebration options! See below for some of our favorite New Year’s Eve activities around Alexandria. Additionally, you can click here to peruse all of the restaurants in Alexandria that will be dishing up specials on NYE.
First Night Alexandria
First Night Alexandria will be returning this year after being canceled due to the pandemic. This family-friendly New Year’s Eve celebration will feature activities in Old Town from 12 pm – 12 am on Saturday, December 31st. You can purchase tickets here.
Seeking to expand cultural awareness, First Night Alexandria showcases the performing arts by giving exposure to rising stars, new artists, and seasoned professionals. A diverse group of artists will perform all over Old Town from 12 pm – 12 am. Various churches, museums, retail establishments, libraries, private clubs, buildings and offices, recreation centers, city-owned facilities, theaters, and hotels will transform into venues to enjoy artistic expression. All FNA Matinee and Prime Time performances will be held indoors. FNA After Hours is an outdoor street party at Market Square. The venues are walkable and within a maximum distance from the river to the metro of 1 mile. Stroll through Old Town and enjoy various performances throughout the afternoon and evening! See below for the list of confirmed performers:
FNA Matinee from 12 pm – 5 pm
- Culture Queen – Genre: Kids
- Groovy Nate – Genre: Kids
FNA Primetime 6 pm – 10 pm
- Anthony Swamp Dog Clark – Genre: Blues/Funk
- Clean Comedy Connection – Genre: Comedy
- Common Ground Jazz Band – Genre: Jazz
- The Grandsons – Genre: Americana
- Irish Breakfast Band – Genre: Irish/Dance
- Janine Wilson Band – Genre: Blues/ Americana
- Lady Mary – Genre: R&B/Motown/Southern Soul
- Mike Rose Magic – Genre: Comedy/Magic
- Ruthie & The Wrangles – Genre: Country/Americana
- Saxy Entertainment with Antonio – Genre: Jazz
- Silent Disco – Genre: Dance
- The Thrillbillys – Genre: Americana/Rock
- Tobin James & Friends – Genre: Funk/R&B/Post Punk
- Vaughn Ambrose Jazz Trio – Genre: Jazz
- Whiskey Before Breakfast Band – Genre: Irish/Dance
FNA After Hours 10 pm – 12 am
Countdown to 2023 Street Party at Market Square
- Live Music with DJ Infinite Sounds, Dancing, Food Trucks
Fireworks at Midnight – Best Viewing Spots
- Canal Center Plaza
- Rivergate Park (2 Montgomery Street)
- Oronoco Bay Park (100 Madison Street)
- Founders Park (351 N Union Street)
- Waterfront Park (1A Prince Street)
- Windmill Hill Park (501 S Union Street)
- Ford’s Landing Boardwalk (99 Franklin Street)
- Jones Point Park (Jones Point Drive)
- George Washington Masonic Temple (101 Callahan Drive)
Additional NYE Events Happening in Old Town
First Night New Year’s Eve Tour of Historic Alexandria Virginia
Before heading over to FNA take a tour of Old Town and learn about the wild and fascinating past of George Washington’s hometown from your guide who is a former “Tonight Show” writer, ex-Presidential speechwriter, and author of the new book on D.C.’s history, The White House’s Unruly Neighborhood: Crime, Scandal & Intrigue in the History of Lafayette Square. Meet outside Wilkes Tunnel for a walk about Alexandria’s cultural core. The tour is about two hours in length. Purchase tickets here and learn more about what your itinerary will include.
New Year’s Eve with Black Coffee and Blackwall Hitch
Blackwall Hitch will be offering a four-course prix fixe meal on NYE with two seating time options. The second seating will include live music from Black Coffee and a midnight champagne toast. Call (703) 739-6090 for reservations.
New Year’s Eve Cocktail Party at The Light Horse
Downstairs will be open all day to the public. Upstairs opens at 8 pm for those with tickets only. Hors d’oeuvres from 8 pm – 11 pm. Live music starts at 9:30 pm. Champagne toast and party favors at midnight! Buy your tickets here.
NYE House Party at Sonoma Cellar
The party starts at 10 pm and continues until 12:30 am. The evening includes all beverages, heavy hors’ doeuvres, and a full “Midnight Thirty Breakfast Buffet.” Watch the fireworks, play games, hang outside around the firepit and smoke cigars with your pals. Dress for the occasion, and SoCel will provide hats, buzzers, and merriment! Limited to 75 people. Purchase tickets here.
Cafe 44 will host an elegant fireworks-themed NYE party starting at 8:30 pm. Your ticket price will include a chef’s dinner buffet, 4 hour premium bar, reserved indoor table with open access to the waterfront balcony and terrace, DJ, themed-photo booth, chambong toast and a premier view of the fireworks at midnight! Call 571-344-9100 to purchase an exclusive ticket, only 50 tickets will be sold.
No. 9 Lounge’s New Years Eve Bash
The speak-easy at Evening Star Cafe located in Del Ray will celebrate NYE with food and drink specials, a live DJ, dancing, and a champagne toast at midnight to ring in the new year in the No. 9 Lounge. Purchase tickets here.
For more articles like this one, be sure to sign up for our weekly email newsletter below!