New Alexandria History
In 1862 the “New Alexandria Land and River Improvements Company” bought 1,600 acres from local farmers. They planned to turn the area into a town called New Alexandria with a streetcar connecting it to Washington and Alexandria. In 1890 residents were able to commute to Washington in less than 30 minutes. The area quickly grew and developed.
New Alexandria Real Estate
New Alexandria is a neighborhood located in Alexandria, Virginia. Homes in New Alexandria are mostly 4 bedrooms and were built between the 1930s and 1970s with some newer homes throughout. Many of them are cape cod and colonial style.
New Alexandria Community
New Alexandria has an annual 4th of July parade, a halloween party, and a National Night Owl event on the first Tuesday of August. The New Alexandria Citizens association hosts bi-monthly meetings at the Martha Washington Library to discuss issues in the community.
New Alexandria Entertainment
New Alexandria is only a five minute walk from the Potomac River and less than 25 minutes from downtown D.C.. The residents of New Alexandria enjoy walking and biking along the Mount Vernon Recreation trail. The Belle Haven Marina sailing and boating marina is nearby as well as the Mount Vernon Rec Center. Westgrove Dog Park, Mount Vernon District Park, Belle Haven Park, and Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve are in close proximity of New Alexandria. Belle Haven Country Club is also near New Alexandria.
New Alexandria Favorites
There is a Starbucks, Safeway, and Dunkin Donuts in New Alexandria making coffee and groceries easily accessible.
- Discover more Alexandria favorites in:
- Fall Hiking in Alexandria and Where to go Apres Hiking
- Your Complete Guide to Living in Alexandria with Pets
- Is Alexandria Good for Commuters? Here’s What to Know!
- Alexandria Summer Guide
- Reasons to Move to Alexandria: A Perfect Blend of Work, Lifestyle, and Beauty
- The Beauty of Alexandria
- The Best Pizza in Alexandria and Beyond
- Best Happy Hours in Old Town Alexandria
- Complete List of Alexandria Playgrounds & Parks
- Biking and Trails in Alexandria
- The Best Sports Bars in Alexandria
- The Best Kid-Friendly Restaurants in Alexandria
- Best Burgers in Alexandria and Beyond
- The Best Coffee Shops in Alexandria
- The Best Breakfast Spots in Alexandria
Want to know what it’s like to live in New Alexandria? Let’s go on a neighborhood orientation tour!