These past few weeks we have learned a lot about roof gutters. Gutters have received more attention recently because of massive rain events around the country and the world. They play an important role in collecting and re-distributing roof run-off water.
Here are some important notes about gutters and things you should keep in mind when taking care of your home’s gutters.
- Keep gutter clean. Clogged gutters cannot function properly
- Cleaning gutters can be dangerous work. About 90,000 people go to emergency rooms each year from ladder falls mostly while cleaning gutters so maybe let the professional handle this one.
- Gutters prevent staining to the facade of a home.
- Gutters prevent erosion.
- Gutters prevent excessive moisture from reaching basements and foundations. This can of course often lead to mold.
- Extended down-spouts divert water further away from the house.
- Gutter screens can prevent leaf and debris build-up.
- Drooping gutters are less effective and should be re-inforced.
- Gutters should be placed and angled correctly to be fully effective.
- Gutters can be helpful in collecting and storing run-off water in tanks for future use, especially in drought-prone areas.
- Gutters require a pitch to effectively drain water fast.
- While gutters are effective at deflecting water, a deeper roof overhang can be very effective too, although not best for high-wind environments.