December Tip of the Month –
Get Your Home Ready for Winter
Winter officially begins in about three weeks! Are you ready? Is your home ready? Follow our tips to get your home ready for winter and the cold, wind, and snow ahead.
- Check on your snow blower and generator to ensure they are in good working order.
- Make sure you have a snow shovel and salt (and waterproof gloves!). Follow our snow shoveling safety tips too!
- Check your crawlspace/chimney for pests and/or wildlife. Contact a professional if you see any signs of wildlife in your home.
- While in your crawlspace, check on the insulation and vapor barrier to see if any needs to be added or replaced.
- Insulate pull-down staircases for attics. Click here for a tutorial.
- Consider adding insulation in these other spaces:
- floors over unheated garages
- cathedral ceilings
- Seal up any air leaks in your home. Common problem areas are typically found around windows, ducts, electrical outlets, and recessed lighting. Be sure to read our related article on sealing these gaps.
With these simple tasks, you can get your home ready for winter in no time. Need help? Please contact us. We’re always happy to recommend professional for any projects relating to your home.
Be sure you’re receiving our weekly blog roundup for more helpful home improvement articles like this one.