August Tip of the Month: Garage Door Maintenance
Most homeowners don’t give too much thought to their garage doors, but it’s very important that you do! Given that your garage door is the largest moving system in your home, it is essential that you confirm it’s working as it should.
No matter what type of garage door you have, maintenance is the same:
- Inspect the garage door’s tracks to ensure there is no debris that will catch in the rollers. Wipe the tracks down or vacuum them as needed.
- Lubricate the rollers with oil (standard engine oil is fine, just don’t use grease). Put a bit of oil on each roller and allow it to be drawn it into the bearings.
- Check cables for any wear and fraying. Confirm that all springs are tight and connected properly.
- Lightly lubricate any bearings, springs, and hinges. Run the opener a few times after applying the lubricant.
- Check the hinges for wear and tear. If necessary, replace them to keep the door functioning properly.
- Examine the door itself for any warped wood, rust spots, or chipping paint. Make any needed improvements.
For additional tips on maintaining your garage door, click here.
For ideas on organizing the contents of your garage, read our Weekend Transformation post on the subject.
Proper care and maintenance will help keep your garage door operating smoothly and prolong its life.
If you need help with this or any other home improvement project, please let us know. We are alway happy to recommend service professionals who can help.
For more home maintenance tips like these, sign on for our weekly blog roundup.
Photo credit: doorLink Manufacturing