With more than 25 years in the real estate business, we know a thing or two about moving! If you’re planning a move in the near future, take a moment to review our moving shopping list. Refer to this list when you make your next trip to the hardware or home improvement store. You’ll thank us later!
Moving Shopping List
- Moving Boxes. Be sure you have a variety of sizes. You may also want to buy some large plastic containers for your move which can serve as storage afterward.
- Tape. You’ll need plenty of packing tape. Buy as many tape dispensers as you have packers. Also, buy some masking tape or labels (and markers) to identify what’s in all of those boxes.
- Packing Protection. Think bubble wrap, packing peanut, and/dish foam. Start saving newspapers now. Also, save any packing materials from any incoming packages you receive. DIY movers, also grab some moving blankets to protect electronics and furniture during the move.
- Storage for important documents. Invest in a fire- and water-proof box like this one to store and transport important documents like passports, wills, birth certificates, etc.
- Hand-truck or dolly. This item is especially important for DIY moves. If you’ll need to move heavy items up or down stairs, also grab a piece of plywood to serve as a ramp. Also grab some furniture straps and felt sliders to move large and/or heavy pieces.
- Twine, tie-downs and bungee cords. You’ll need something to secure items in the moving truck or can if you’re moving them yourself.
- Vacuum seal bags. Pack and move your clothes in these handy bags, which are tremendous space savers on moving day. You can reuse them after the move for out of season clothes storage.
- Cleaning supplies. You’ll need these items for both the home you’re leaving and your new home. A minimum, buy some paper towels, spray cleaners, disinfecting wipes, a broom and dustpan, garbage bags, and rubber gloves.
- Basic tools. Put together a mini tool kit for the big day with a hammer, screwdriver, nails, screws, pliers, wrench, tape measure, level, and a box cutter.
Check out more of our best moving tips here.
The Bottom Line
Fear not! With some organization and preparation, your move can be a smooth one. Shop now for everything on this moving shopping list. Moving in and unpacking will be much faster if you don’t have to make extra trips to the store!
Thinking of making a move soon? Let us know! It’s never too early to start the conversation.
For more real estate insight like this, be sure you’re getting our weekly blog roundup.