Condo Buildings –
Which Kind is Right for You?
When you start your search for the perfect condo, you’ll quickly learn that there are several types of condo buildings from which to choose. Here are the main types of condo buildings you’ll find in our area.
- High-rise – Every jurisdiction will have its own definition of a high-rise. The National Fire Protection Association defines a high-rise building as having at least seven stories. Some jurisdictions consider high-rise buildings those with nine or more stories. High-rises always have an elevator.
- Mid-rise – A multi-story (typically between four and seven stories) building with an elevator.
- Garden-style – A one-, two-, or three-story apartment development built in a garden-like setting; these buildings may or may not have elevators
- Walk-up – A four- to six-story building without an elevator
- Row or townhouses – Multi-level structures in rows, attached to each other by common walls.
- Detached structures – do not share any walls.
Deciding which option is best for you can be overwhelming. That’s where we can help.
Our team can help you think through the pros and cons of each type of condo building.
For example, if you have a baby, you’ll want to pass on a walk-up or if you take your dog for several walks each day, you may want to skip any high-rise options. If you enjoy your privacy, a townhouse or detached condo may work best.
Once you’ve honed in on the type of condo building that works best for you, you’ll want to think about location within the building or community. Do you want to be near or far from the elevator? Do you want to be able to walk up to your unit from the lobby? Would you like to be near the pool or fitness center? Will you mind having to walk a distance to retrieve your mail?
Be sure to check our related post Breaking It Down: Condos, Townhouses and Co-ops.
The Bottom Line
Before you start your search for a condo in earnest, educate yourself on the various types of condo buildings and which one(s) will work best for your lifestyle. You can rest assured that with an experienced Realtor guiding you, you’ll find the perfect condo and community.
Are you a first-time buyer? Download our comprehensive guide just for you!
Ready to get started on your condo search? Reach out today!