Trick-or-Treating in Old Town Alexandria:
The 10 Things You Need to Know!
Are you new to trick-or-treating in Old Town Alexandria? We’ve got you covered!
- Halloween on a Tuesday? No problem! Old Town trick-or-treaters will be out in full force, even on a school night.
- The most popular streets for trick-or-treaters are in the Southeast Quadrant – Lee Street (see #4) and the streets perpendicular to it: Duke, Wolfe, Wilkes, Gibbon, and Franklin Streets (FYI: some Old Town shops offer trick or treating before Halloween).
- The little ones will start trick-or-treating just before dusk so be sure to have your candy ready and porch light(s) on!
- The place to be on Halloween in Old Town is S. Lee Street! Learn more about this Old Town tradition here.
- Do you have a child with food allergies? Fret not. Look for homes with teal pumpkins, a sign that non-food treats are available at that home. Learn more here.
- Some apartment buildings welcome trick-or-treaters, especially those in the Carlyle are/ Look for special stickers on residents’ doors that indicate who has candy to give out.
- Leave the car at home. Many Old Town streets are actually closed to all but pedestrians. If you must drive on Halloween, use extreme caution! Drive very slowly, make all complete stops, don’t turn on red, etc.
- Make sure your little ones are easily seen with some sort of reflector on their costumes. Or give them a glow necklace or bracelet to wear!
- If you won’t be home on Halloween or when you are done passing out candy, turn off your porch light. It’s a well known signal to trick-or-treaters to skip the house.
- Most trick-or-treating will wrap up by 9pm but some teenaged trick-or-treaters may still come by.
The Bottom Line
Trick -or-treating in Old Town Alexandria is an amazing experience. Get out there with the kids and enjoy the fun while staying smart and safe.
Want to know more about living in Old Town? Sign on for one of our weekly newsletter orientation tours so we can acquaint you with our wonderful city!
Comments are closed.