Of all the beautiful sights Alexandria has to offer, perhaps the most spectacular sight to behold is the smile on a dog enjoying one of the many dog-friendly activities it has to offer. One of the best things to do with your dog in the Alexandria area, in particular, is just around the corner: Love Your Pet Day Block Party held on Sunday, April 29th. Declared “Love Your Pet Day” by the city Mayor, Allison Silberberg, this is the second annual event celebrating our four-legged friends. It’ll be held at Roth and Colvin Streets in the West End from 11 AM to 2PM, and will feature more than 40 local groups, food trucks, children’s entertainment, and will be hosted by local pet-celeb vet, Dr. Katy Nelson.
But a once-a-year furry extravaganza is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what Alexandria has to offer your scruffy little-loved one. Here’s a smattering of other great things to do… come to the block party and stay for a few other of these options:
Cool Things to Do With Your Dog in Alexandria
- Canine Cruise by Potomac River Boat: take a 45-minute tour of the Potomac and your dog rides for free! Catch some sights and some fresh air, all while taking in some breathtaking views of the nature surrounding our Nation’s Capital.
- George Washington’s Mt Vernon Dog Tour: Who knew George Washington was a dog aficionado? Apparently, he was and thus inspired the Mt Vernon dog-friendly walking tour! Walk 1.25 miles through the grounds and learn more about Washington’s dogs while getting some fresh air and a taste of local history.
- Old Town Boutique District: Most of the shops along the cobblestoned section of King Street are doggie friendly, offering water bowls and dog treats, right alongside unique items you’ll only find in Alexandria. Stroll through and shop a bit, then stop and refuel at a dog-friendly eatery…
- Casa Rosada Artisan Doggie Gelato: I mean… this is a real treat for pup. Artisanal gelato designed specifically for dogs! Lactose-free, natural sugar, with a pumpkin gelato base, and a peanut butter/banana gelato bone on top. Soon to be sold around the area as Hungry Henry’s (Henry is below), this is the original location… oh, and they have some flavors for humans too 😉
- Later in the evening you can stop by one of the many doggie friendly restaurants or bars nearby like: Jackson 20 part of the Alexandrian Hotel with a sidewalk section for service, the French restaurant Bastille, farm to table focused Virtue Feed & Grain, local hangout Chadwick’s, or grab some small plates and wine in the garden at Sonoma Cellar.
- Actually, why not make a weekend of it! More than 50% of the hotels in Alexandria cater to furry guests. And if you live here already, invite your pet-obsessed friends into town for this or one of the many other annual events! Some dates to mark for the year’s calendar: The Saint Patricks Day Parade which features a “Fun Dog Show” with costume contests and more, and the Scottish Christmas Walk Parade. Start planning now friends!
For more details on a Dog’s Day out can be found at Visit Alexandria. We know spending time with your pup is important to you! We have rounded up other things to do around the DMV with your best friend, our Top 25 Things to Do with your Dog in Washington DC & Beyond can be read here.