Located in South Arlington, just across Route 50, Glencarlyn is an urban neighborhood. Glencarlyn is a well-established neighborhood, built between primarily between 1940 and 1969. It is one of the first planned, cooperative, residential communities in the country.
In 1772, William Carlin, one of George Washington’s tailors, purchased the estate that, originally named Carlin Springs, eventually became Glencarlyn neighborhood. The land was not transformed, however, into a residential community until 1887, when Carlin’s descendents sold the property to Gen. Samuel S. Burdett and William W. Curtis. The partners began developing the area immediately. In 1896,Carlin Springs, officially changed its named to Glencarlyn in response to a request from the Postal Service for a one-word name.
Local Real Estate
The Glencarlyn neighborhood is primarily made up of single-family homes, apartment complexes, and high-rise apartments occupied by a mixture of renters and owners.
Residents of Glencarlyn often head over to the Glencarlyn Dog Park, a woodsy open space with several trails, to bike or walk/jog, and to let their dogs play in its stream. Residents also have easy access to Seven Corners Shopping Center, the first major shopping center to open in the suburbs of Washington DC. Today, it is anchored by Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, and a grocery store.