Douglas Park is a wedge shaped neighborhood in South Arlington, bound by S. Four Mile Run and Walter Reed Drives and Columbia Pike. It is convenient to Interstates 66 and 395 and Route 50. While not near a Metro stop, it is served by Metro buses and is walkable to the shops and restaurants of Shirlington and Columbia Pike.
Douglas Park grew out of the need for housing for the influx of military and federal personnel during after the 2nd World War, though it first began to appear on Arlington County maps in 1927. This area is often associated with Sewell B. Corbett, an early 20th century Arlington County landowner. Douglas Park is likely named for the Douglas family, prominent residents of the county; William W. Douglas served as Arlington County Supervisor from 1904-1907.
Local Real Estate
Douglas Park real estate consists of single-family homes, condos, townhomes and apartment complexes. Most Douglas Park homes are Bungalow and Colonial Revival-style homes built between the 1920s-1950s. There are some Queen Anne-style homes that date back to the early 20th century.
Douglas Park Civic Association is an active association that focuses on neighborhood improvements, conservation and events like the Halloween “Trail of Terror” and annual 4th of July parade and picnic. Douglas Park is home to a park of the same name, which offers a playground, nature trails, a gazebo, and a stream. Fort Bernard Park is home to a dog park, athletic fields and a community garden. Three Arlington County Community centers are nearby, one of which is home to a Sunday farmers market.