Barcroft is a quiet, residential South Arlington community just about six miles from the District. Arlington Boulevard, Columbia Pike and S. George Mason Drive are the main borders of the neighborhood. It is also bordered by the scenic Four Mile Run stream. While it does not have a Metro station, there are many bus lines serving Barcroft.
Barcroft can trace its roots to George Washington’s era. Washington surveyed the land and may have built a gristmill on it. George Washington Parke Custis later built the Arlington Mill here (it was later destroyed during the Civil War). Barcroft is named for Dr. John Woolverton Barcroft, who after the Civil War, built and operated a mill (said to have the largest mill wheel on the east coast) on the foundations of the Arlington Mill.
Local Real Estate
Barcroft’s roughly 800 homes are mostly ramblers, Cape Cods, with some Craftsman-style. Most of these homes were built between 1930-1970, though there is a rising number of new builds. There are also some apartment complexes in the community.
Barcroft is in close proximity to the shopping, dining and entertainment of Shirlington and Columbia Pike. Locals can be found at the 65-acre Barcroft Park, with its many sports fields and courts (many of them lit!), playground, and batting cages. Also nearby is the Barcroft Sports & Fitness Center, with the area’s largest gymnastics training center and a boxing training gym. The Four Mile Run Trail offers plenty of action for dogwalkers, hikers, runners, and fishermen.
Barcroft School & Civic League is the neighborhood’s an active civic association. The historic Barcroft Community House built in 1908 as a church serves as the community’s central meeting place.