THE HISTORY OF 307 W WALNUT STREET
This elegant renovation of a one family owned home is unique in character. The Honorable William P. Woolls built the home in 1923 on two parcels, 307 W. Walnut Street and 2405 King Street, on just over a third of an acre. In approximately 1938, he built an addition to accommodate his five children.
Judge Woolls was married to Ruth Roberts, eldest daughter of Walter and Rebecca Harmon Roberts, also of Alexandria. Walter and his Quaker brothers owned Cameron Mill and Walter was also president of the Alexandria Water Company when Lake Barcroft was built as the city’s reservoir. Walter also ran the feed store in the location of the present day Virtue Feed & Grain in Old Town, until his death in the flu epidemic of 1918. His sons continued to run the business until it was sold in the 1960’s.
William and Ruth’s youngest daughter occupied the house until 2015 when she decided she did not want to spend another winter alone in such a large house. The home was purchased in 2015 by a gifted renovator of older homes. The purchaser of The Woolls home will be only the second family to occupy this stately residence.
THE RESTORATION AND RENOVATION OF 307 W WALNUT STREET
In 2015, and 2016, The Wooll’s Family home was transformed into a comfortable classic, renovated from top to bottom with meticulous care and attention to detail, preserving all of its early 20th century charm. Located at the end of one of Rosemont’s most prestigious streets, 307 W. Walnut sits prettily behind a circular driveway with trellis over the side door. A spacious center hall Dutch colonial, it offers six bedrooms and 4.5 baths on four finished levels.
The main level’s fantastic, flexible floor plan offers a state-of-the-art kitchen with top of the line appliances, custom walnut-topped center island and either eat-in or family room space. An inviting living room with oversized original fireplace opens to the outdoors, as well as a lovely glass-enclosed sun-room overlooking the garden and outdoor studio building. An additional room on the main floor can serve as a formal dining room or a large, spacious private office. On the two upper levels of the home, you will find five bedrooms including a luxurious master suite as well as a top level bedroom suite or office. A “to-die-for” laundry room is also on the main bedroom level. Traveling downstairs to the home’s lower level, you will find a bedroom suite with bath and living area, a recreation room, den, wine cellar and plentiful storage.
Garage and/or pool can be added to the property for additional costs. A stunning home with a fabulous renovation, located in desirable, tree-lined Rosemont. Walk to King Street or Braddock Road Metro, Grape & Bean, Beach Park, Maury Elementary, Del Ray and Old Town from 307 W. Walnut Street. What’s not to love?
Stone Circular Driveway
What We Love
- Basement family room features walk out patio and large enough for a pool or gaming tables.
- Bonus room in basement can be used for media room, home office, hobby room, home gym or what ever else.
- Large finished storage room in the basement.
- The basement bedroom features it’s own living room space and connecting bathroom. What a great in-law or au-pair suite!
- Temperature controlled wine cellar room.
- The kitchen features professional grade appliances. Sub-Zero 42” Built-in Side-by-Side Refrigerator with Internal Dispenser, 36” dual fuel 6 burner Wolf range, Bosch dishwasher and 30” Wolf built-in drawer microwave.
- The kitchen island features a custom walnut countertop and perimeter countertops are granite with a farmhouse kitchen sink.
- Living room features a fully restored and newly relined wood burning fireplace.
- New first floor powder room has custom wood shutter interior window treatments.
- All new windows, mechanical systems, electrical and plumbing.
- Master bedroom has three closets, one is a walk-in.
- Master bathroom has marble tile and counter-tops, double sink vanity, towel warmer, wired to accommodate a TV, Hansgrohe fixtures, Shower Faucet with Thermostatic / Volume Control Trim, Hand Shower and Body Sprays. Separate large soaking tub feature hand shower.
- Upper level hallway bathroom has double sink vanity and tub.
- Stunning and spacious laundry room on second floor.
- Large third floor bedroom or office space with en-suite full bathroom and views of the capital and GW Monument in the Fall & Winter.
307 W. Walnut Street is located in desirable Rosemont, Alexandria. The tree-lined Rosemont neighborhood is sandwiched between Old Town and Del Ray. Residents can walk to either area to take advantage of the shops, restaurants, and activities. It’s in walking distance to two metro stops, which is a big selling feature! Grape & Bean is the go-to spot for coffee or a glass (or three) of wine. It also has a wine and coffee boutique. Rosemont has mostly single family homes that were built in the ‘20s, ‘30s, and ‘40s. There are also some townhouses and some homes that are a little bit larger than Del Ray. Rosemont has classic brick colonials as well as some larger foursquare clapboard houses. This area is home to one of the two public middle schools in Alexandria where Mama Cass Elliot, Jim Morrison, Dermot Mulroney and Nashville star Charles Esten went to school.