2400 King Street
Sited high above street level on a tree-lined block of King Street, this 1914 white brick home with sprawling front porch and picture-perfect picket fence will delight history buffs and satisfy those seeking modern efficiencies. Drink in views of the George Washington Masonic Temple at night and the DC skyline from the top floor; step inside to read your favorite novel or enjoy a drink by wood-burning fireplaces.
Original details such as heart-of-pine hardwood floors, 8-inch baseboards, crown molding on the lower level and picture railing on the upper level distinguish this home. Built in 1914 by a railroad engineer, the date is noted on the Upland Street-side chimney, and each room presents a historical detail to cherish with modern upgrades to please. From the foyer, a sunny sitting room lies to your left, and an entertainer’s living room to your right. Both rooms are rich with natural light, and wooden blinds offer privacy for nighttime. Ceiling medallions and period-appropriate lighting fixtures illuminate from above, while brick-encased, wood-burning fireplaces offer ambient lighting and warmth at chair-level. Pocket doors conceal the living room from the formal dining room, with its expansive series of windows and French doors leading to the patio. A transom above the doors offers more light.
The kitchen’s warm wooden cabinetry nods to the historical aesthetic, while stainless appliances and Wolf four-burner range with vent hood offer convenience to the modern chef. Granite counters and backsplash throughout the kitchen are stylish solutions to the spills and splashes of family dinnertime. Step up into an eat-in area, or carry your dinner plate through the glass door to dine on the patio when the weather beckons. Beyond the kitchen, a half bath and practical hallway with room for coat hooks and storage cubbies will keep your family organized.
On the upper level, two generously sized rooms can be used for sleeping or working; one has a fireplace and floor-to-ceiling built-in shelves that lend themselves to an ideal office space. The master suite offers a window-lit, walk-in closet with sophisticated storage system and an apothecary style bathroom with dual pedestal sinks, claw-foot tub and glass-enclosed shower. The spacious bedroom has a sitting area with room for a loveseat and overstuffed chair by the fireplace — making this your true retreat within the home. At attic-level, two additional rooms can be used for sleeping, storage or hobbies. And at basement-level, the fully furnished suite complete with kitchenette, full bath, living and sleeping space, can be used for long-term guests or an au pair.
You’ll relish your quiet end of King Street just as much as you value your easy access to King Street Metro station and Amtrak/VRE at three blocks’ distance. An added bonus, this home features a convenient two-car garage at the home’s side entrance on Upland Place.
What We Love
- Sited high above street level on a tree-lined block of King Street
- Sprawling front porch and picture-perfect picket fence
- Views of the George Washington Masonic Temple at night and the DC skyline from the top floor
- Original details such as heart-of-pine hardwood floors, 8-inch baseboards, crown molding on the lower level and picture railing on the upper level
- Classic center hall Colonial with foyer entrance
- Front of the house offers two sitting rooms rich with natural light and boasts ceiling medallions. Period-appropriate lighting fixtures illuminate from above, while brick-encased, wood-burning fireplaces offer ambient lighting and warmth
- Pocket doors conceal the living room from the formal dining room, with its expansive series of windows and French doors leading to the patio
- Modern Chef’s kitchen with warm wood cabinets, granite countertops and stainless appliances (Wolf four-burner range with vent hood)
- Step up to eat-in area or carry your meals out through glass sliding doors to dine on patio when the weather beckons
- Half bath on main level , and room for coat hooks and storage cubbies to stay organized
- First upper level two generously sized rooms for sleeping or working; one with a fireplace and floor to ceiling shelves
- Fantastic master suite with walk-in closet with sophisticated storage system, apothecary style bathroom with dual pedestal sinks, claw-foot tub and glass enclosed shower
- Master also features a sitting room and fireplace to relax and enjoy a good book
- Attic level offers two other bedrooms with great views
- Lower level offers a complete kitchenette, full bath, living and sleeping space and is ideal for guests or an au pair
- 3 blocks to King Street metro and VRE/Amtrak station
- Two, two car garages for added convenience