211 Wilkes Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
211 Wilkes Street
Charm, space and location combine in this expanded historic townhome with Juliet balconies. Over 3,000 square feet on four expanded levels, this gracious Old Town home features a large family room with oversized Palladian window, french doors, soaring ceilings and a gas fireplace overlooking the enchanting gardens. The formal living room also features two original Palladian windows with Juliet balconies – complete with original skeleton key locks! The stunning original wood floors shine throughout the original portion of the home on three of the four levels. Enjoy cooking and congregating in the spacious updated kitchen with quartz counters and a center island just steps to the open family room. Original wood floors, high ceilings and lots of light combine in this fantastic property creating a truly special property. As you head upstairs to the four large bedrooms, including a fabulous master suite with fireplace and double closets, enjoy details such as a decorative rope railing. So quaint! Out back, the gorgeous terraced garden includes a detached shed that is fully heated and insulated – perfect for an office or studio. All of this combines with the perfect location – just one block to Windmill Hill Park and the Old Town Safeway, two short blocks to the Potomac River, and four blocks to King Street shopping and restaurants. We’re in love!
What We Love
- A showstopper! This historic Old Town Federal style townhome embodies styles from post-Revolutionary and Civil War eras with modern luxuries
- Charming original hardwood floors, three fireplaces and details like rope railings and skeleton key door locks create a wonderful ambiance
- Juliet balconies found on the front of the home are accented by beautiful Palladian window designs allowing lots of natural light
- Original land owner in 1669 was Alexandria founder John Alexander
- Fully overhauled in 1992 with a three story expansion by previous owners who were well known area builders. After the expansion, the home was featured by many design magazines, including Southern Living, Luxury Homes, and Qualified Remodeler magazines.
- Lots of updates in 2017 include new kitchen counters and backsplash, freshly painted cabinets and cabinet pulls, new dishwasher. New light fixtures. New hot water heater and washer/dryer. Fresh paint and new carpets throughout.
- 8ft French doors open to a spacious terraced outdoor space with enchanting garden. The garden also features a fully insulated and heated exterior building, perfect for an office, studio, workout space or outdoor
- High ceilings, including 12 feet in the family room addition
- Four finished levels, four bedrooms, three full and one half bathrooms
- Unique entry adds to the charm of this home
- Custom built-in shelves and cabinets give ample storage options along with a sizable attic, spacious closets and a heated and insulated shed in the back
- Unbeatable location in the heart of Old Town; across the street from Windmill Hill “Lee Street” Park with dog park and playgrounds, 1 block to Safeway and a mere 4 blocks to popular King Street for incredible shopping, dining and community experiences
Stroll along cobblestone streets, spend time exploring historic landmarks, and shop at hundreds of local shops and eateries, all in idyllic Old Town Alexandria. Everything from the neighborly residents to the charming Old Town real estate will have you wanting to call this community home.
Old Town has over 100 locally owned shops, most of them a part of the local Boutique District. In these shops, you can really get to know the shop-owners and support the local community. Relaxing restaurants, independent coffee shops, and wine bars provide the perfect backdrop for a night out, with plentiful art galleries, theatres, and parks around to explore. You can jump on a boat to get to Nationals Park for a baseball game, or to Georgetown or National Harbor for even more shopping or dining.
With a quaint small town atmosphere and the flair of city living, this waterfront town is the perfect place for residents of all ages and lifestyles. Just minutes from downtown Washington DC, close to a major airport, and central transportation running throughout the area, it’s easy to enjoy everything Old Town has to offer. It’s very walkable, so we recommend strolling along the cobblestone streets to get a true feel for the neighborhood.
Want a peek into what life is like in this neighborhood? Here are our top 10 reasons to love where you live in Old Town.